Dedicated to the work of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and all the other people, both actors and technicians who helped them make those wonderful films.
A lot of the documents have been sent to me or have come from other web sites. The name of the web site is given where known. If I have unintentionally included an image or document that is copyrighted or that I shouldn't have done then please email me and I'll remove it.
I make no money from this site, it's purely for the love of the films.
[Any comments are by me (Steve Crook) and other members of the email list]
So who is Steve Crook?
Well I am just an admirer of the works of Powell & Pressburger like yourselves. I got volunteered into starting this email group and although officially I'm in charge in fact it's really the people in the group who run it.
I have quite a large collection of their films, as well as documentaries & books by and about them. The lists give details of what's available and where you might be able to find them.
I have been to quite a few P&P related screenings and events around the country. I live in South London, England - near Wimbledon where they play a bit of tennis sometimes. I work as a computer system designer/programmer at Brainstorm (I've got to pay for my P&P hobby somehow) and the office is on the Seven Sisters Road, London. Could I be the Seven Sisters soldier from ACT? :)
[We moved office and are now in Kentish Town]
Over the last few years have met a few people such as :-
- Columba Powell - Michael's son.
I've been to stay with him a few times at Michael's old cottage in Avening, Gloucestershire.
- Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell - Michael's widow.
I first met Thelma at the dedication of the Powell Building at Canterbury. She also came to the Director's Guild event to honour Michael, despite being very busy editing Martin Scorsese's film in Rome.
- Jack Cardiff - Cinematographer on AMOLAD, BN & TRS.
I first met Jack at a screening of AMOLAD at Oxford and have met him a few times since.
- Sheila Sim - Leading lady in ACT.
I first met Sheila at the dedication of the Powell Building at Canterbury and then again when we brought John Sweet to Canterbury.
- Kathleen Byron - Major P&P actress (BN, SBR, Silver Fleet).
I first met Kathleen when there was a special screening of BN at the NFT and she was the guest of honour.
- John Sweet - Sgt Bob Johnson in ACT.
The PnP group helped bring John back to Canterbury for his first visit in 56 years for a charity screening of ACT in Canterbury.
- Leo Marks - writer of Peeping Tom.
I met Leo at the opening of the Violette Szabo Museum in June 2000. I spoke to him briefly about what we are doing and he was quite interested. Alas he died (in January 2001) before I could renew the contact. His widow, Elena, came to the Director's Guild event to honour Michael Powell and I hope to remain in contact with her.
- Nick Burton - Head of Department, Radio, Film & Television Studies at Canterbury Christ Church University College. Nick works in the Michael Powell Buiding as was responsible for the dedication.
- Ian Christie - Professor of film studies & author of books on P&P.
I have met Ian many times at various functions, screenings & events. I don't know how he puts up with me :)
- Paul Tritton - Author of a great ACT book.
I have met Paul many times, mainly at the various ACT location walks (Fordwich and Chilham) that he has organised. Also at various other events in and around Canterbury (he lives near Maidstone in Kent) such as the dedication of the Powell Building at Canterbury and when we brought John Sweet to Canterbury.
- Anna Massey - leading lady in PT. Anna was at the Director's Guild event to honour Michael Powell. Also there were :-
- Thelma, Columba, Ian Christie, Nick Burton
- Prudence - widow of Marius Goring
- Elena Marks - widow of Leo Marks.
- Freddie Francis, camera operator on SBR, GTE & TEP
I am also in (ir)regular email and/or telephone contact with :-
- Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell
- Kevin Powell, Michael's elder son. Born on the day they started shooting AMOLAD, Kevin now lives in Australia with his wife Lorna. Kevin was the Production Manager on AoC and did various jobs helping with TaWM. His godfather is Raymond Massey.
- Kevin MacDonald, Emeric's grandson who won an Oscar in 2000 for his documentary about the Munich Olympics "One Day in September"
- Susan Day, granddaughter of "Poppa" Day who painted the hanging miniatures and some of the backgrounds for ToB, Blimp, ACT, AMOLAD, BN & GTE.
- Christian Routh, Hein Heckroth's grandson, now in Spain.
And many other "friends and admirers of P&P" around the world.
On a more personal note, I was born on 11th April 1954 (thereby avoiding having to update this to reflect my increasing age each year) and live with a varying number of feline friends in Morden, South West London. Currently there is just one, Poppy who was born in May 2011.
Other interests, apart from P&P are quite varied and include falconry, literature, history, boats, architecture, theatre and just about anything. Oh I'm very eclectic me :)
And if you're wondering about that monogram up in the top right hand corner of the screen?
It's my initials (Stephen J. S. Crook), isn't it clever?
Other PaPAS members